Thursday, December 27, 2007

Loudon Wainwright III

I've been listening to Loudon Wainwright III's album Strange Weirdos. This was a revelatory experience for me, not because the music is great (though it is), but more because I had no idea Loudon Wainwright was actually IN Knocked Up. But yep, he's there, as the Obstetrician (is that how you spell it? I don't know, and don't care enough to check).

As mentioned, it's a fine, fine album - "Grey in LA" is my favorite thus far, which is slightly unfortunate, as it's the opening track. I'm a bit of a sucker for the accordion, it seems.

What's somewhat startling, though, is how much he sounds like Rufus Wainwright throughout the album. Not the style of songwriting (though you certainly can hear how he has influenced Rufus), but more that his actual voice sounds exactly like Rufus'. It wasn't always the case - listen to Loudon's Album II, one of his earlier efforts, and his voice is high-pitched, somewhat pinched, etc. That may be my bias - I don't really like his earlier, balls-in-a-closing-vice-grip tone - but still, I think the similarity between the two voices by Strange Weirdos is uncanny.

No comments: